Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Burned, Murph, and lots of neuters

Last week's surgeries went well. I performed 6 uncomplicated surgeries at the shelter on Tuesday morning and one uncomplicated spay on a fat 6-year-old dog at work on Wednesday! The one at work had me sweating quite a lot. When a dog is older and has a lot of fat in the abdomen it is very difficult to see important things like arteries. When you tighten your ligatures they disappear into the fat and it's disconcerting when you can't SEE your knots tighten nicely. Your gloves get covered with a slippery oily film so you have to keep wiping your hands on a towel. They have more vessels in the broad ligament you have to deal with. All in all it's a huge pain in the bee-hind.

Over the weekend we went to the Crossfit regionals. It was SO fun! Several of our coaches competed, and 2 of them are going to the Crossfit Games this summer, which is a big deal. Our region is a notoriously difficult one with a ton of good athletes so it's even more impressive. I ended up getting quite the sunburn while spectating, however. Should have applied another layer of sunscreen, I suppose.

Monday I had the day off and for Memorial Day we did a hero workout at Crossfit. This one was called "Murph":
1 mile run
100 pull-ups (I used an assistance band)
200 push-ups (I did them from the knees)
300 air squats
1 mile run
At the 40 minute mark they had us stop our pull-ups/push-ups/squats and go for the second run, so in 50 minutes I did:
1 mile run
95 pull-ups
190 push-ups
285 air squats
1 mile run
I'm a little bit sore today :)

Yesterday I went to the shelter again and lost count of how many kitten neuters I performed. We totaled 50 surgeries for the day, which is a record. They are trying to get as many surgeries as possible performed before this weekend because they are having a huge adoption event.

No comments:

Post a Comment