Sunday, June 16, 2013

The Profession

There is a website address that is currently circulating in the veterinary community. Its focus is to petition for changes in the AVMA.

In short, the job market is still pretty terrible for veterinarians (I have been lucky, horrible corporate practice notwithstanding). The number of graduates per year consistently outnumbers the open positions available. Student debt is crazy. You can make a lot more money for a lot less heartache.

The idea behind the petition is to get the AVMA to stop saying the field is full of opportunities and to stop approving the accreditation of so many new (foreign) schools each year and instead work on generating public awareness and demand for veterinary services.

I haven't signed it. Why? This may seem silly but I'm afraid my professional liability insurance through them will be cancelled. Next year I plan to get my insurance through my state veterinary association and to not renew my membership with the AVMA (because I do think in their current state they are useless and possibly even detrimental ... except their journal is interesting).

p.s. I found out that a horrible tech/receptionist I worked with at the corporate practice got hired by my old practice (you know, the one I used to dream of joining?) Eesh.




No comments:

Post a Comment