Sunday, August 4, 2013

Exotics

My clinic has been heavily publicizing the fact that I also see small exotic mammals (rabbits, rats, guinea pigs, chinchillas, and the like). As a result, I have been getting a lot more appointments booked for those animals. It's interesting and I like working with most of them* but it is also stressful. Unlike with cat and dog appointments I don't have a mentor readily available to help when I get stuck on a case. If it is anything other than hair loss, wounds, or respiratory infections then it is probably a brand-new problem to me and I have to look things up. Finally, I don't yet have a ll of the drugs and equipment I would like - admittedly a more minor issue.

I'm just doing the best that I can, asking old classmates for help when needed, and trying to not obsess over whether my way of treating something is "the right way" of doing it. The fact of the matter is, as long as I have sound reasoning behind my treatment plan then I should be helping the patient at least a little. It may not be THE optimal plan from the get-go, but I always schedule rechecks that help me make course corrections if needed. It's just taxing, that's all.

This week we are headed to Phoenix for D's grandmother's 95th birthday. I've never met her so that should be nice. I also finally was able to do pistols (1-legged squats) today!



*I'm not such a fan of undersocialized exotics who like to bite me (usually mice and hamsters)

No comments:

Post a Comment