Sunday, April 14, 2013

Mistakes

It seems like at least once every week or two I make a mistake and get talked to by the management about it. I get it - it's your money and reputation on the line, it's a new hospital, and I need to be made aware of my mistakes so that I can improve. Frankly I WANTED a place where I could get some feedback (both positive and negative) so that I can become a better doctor!

The latest one was where I didn't explicitly spell something out in the medical record - essentially the client did not agree to the recommended plan so we compromised. We discussed the consequences and risks of said compromise and I put it in the discharge instructions but wasn't explicit enough in the rest of the medical record. Long story short, the thing I warned the client about happened and the client didn't want to pay. Since it wasn't documented super-well in the record (note: my record was NOT finalized because I wanted one of the doctors to review it first, but the client came back before I could get that done) the management comped about $200 worth of services for that client. Oh, and as it turns out the client didn't want to see me or the other doctor on duty that first day but her preferred doctor was off and it was an urgent issue. I'm expecting some more meetings next week to discuss it - sigh. Lesson learned.

D says it takes about 1000 "atta boys" to make up for 1 "oh shit." I need a helluva lot more atta girls ...

No comments:

Post a Comment