Sunday, October 28, 2012

Low


Last week I worked by myself – again. They sent Dr. X to a different location on what was supposed to be a 2-doctor day to cover a different hospital. Last week I also made the decision to start looking for a different job sooner vs. later.

The last straw, if you will, was a client who called and was extremely offensive over the phone. They had seen me a month earlier for a potential ear problem, declined all diagnostics, and then left. They demanded a free second exam because they didn’t feel they had seen a “real” doctor the previous time. Our practice manager said “I don’t have time for this. Book the appointment and waive the fee” without ever talking to the client.

So basically she rolled over and tacitly said yes, Dr. S really sucks and why don’t we give you a free visit to make up for it?

It is bad enough that I am working alone all.the.time just 3 months after graduation. Being thrown under the bus too? Not okay. Not even close.

I talked to the practice manager the next day and told her how much that upset me. She said she didn’t mean it like that at all and that she was trying to avoid the client calling corporate which apparently kicks off some big administrative hoo-hah.

Doesn’t matter. As one of my clinicians in vet school said, once you have 6 months of experience, you have experience. Don’t stay in a job where you are miserable.

I knew when I took this job that it wasn’t my dream job. I envisioned days of itchy skin and lots of protocols – not being thrown out on my own with adult big dog spays, crazy endocrine cases, critical emergencies, and no help whatsoever.

No comments:

Post a Comment