Monday, October 22, 2012

(Not so) fast on my feet


When I don’t handle a case as well as I think I should have, I try to go back and do some research so that I will do a better job next time.  The frustrating (or encouraging?) thing is that I DO come up with a better plan, just a day or two later. Here are some recent cases:

1. Indoor/outdoor cat with presenting complaint of inappetance and lethargy for several days; had a fever on physical exam. The client couldn’t afford both diagnostics and treatment. I wanted to use a broad-spectrum antibiotic – possibly something like Baytril because I’d seen it work well on cats with fevers. We had no Baytril. I panicked. I prescribed Clavamox. Later that night once I got home I realized we had Orbax available (in the same drug class as Baytril) and smacked myself on the forehead.

2. First thing on a Sunday morning a puppy was presented for suspected intoxication. The clients didn’t know which drug (an opioid or an antibiotic – they were taking both) or how much was ingested.  The puppy was obtunded, bradycardic, and pale. I strongly recommended that the puppy go 2 blocks down the street to the emergency clinic because all I could think of to do was make the puppy vomit (possibly a questionable choice if he was obtunded) and bolus IV fluids. The next day I remembered that we had naloxone and I could have tried a small dose of that IV to reverse the opioid (which is what I suspected it had ingested.)

To be fair, I don’t feel like I royally screwed up either case. Clavamox is a valid choice for case #1. Case #2 would have needed intensive nursing and monitoring (maybe even a ventilator) which I could not provide, and the puppy was stable enough to make the 5-minute drive to the e-clinic. I just wish I had thought of those extra ideas a little earlier, that’s all. These are the times where it would be really nice to work with even one other doctor to bounce ideas off of!

p.s. Given the number of crazy emergencies that presented to me yesterday, I REALLY should just throw in the towel and go work at an e-clinic. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment