Thursday, March 7, 2013

Out with a bang

My last day at the corporate practice was a lot more memorable than I had hoped it would be. One tech brought a cake and another brought a card thanking me for how much I taught her, which was awesome. I got bit by a cat while holding it during anesthetic induction, which was not so awesome. The same cat had a serious arrhythmia under anesthesia so we had to wake it up without doing the dental and then proceeded to completely flip out on recovery, fly around the treatment room, and break a toenail in the process.

I had to take a moment to go to the bathroom and cry for about 30 seconds after all that. Then it was back to work.

We had no receptionist (they called out sick ... again) and were short 1 tech as well. Oh, and one of the new doctors who will be backfilling me was visiting and got to see all this madness! I'm sure they are freaking out a little about joining this sh!t show.

Anyway ... then we had another cat dental and the cat was so amped up that the maximum dose of intramuscular anesthetic barely affected it, so we had to abort that one as well. Needless to say I had some super fun client phone calls to make.

I had no lunch and ended up staying an extra hour because we were so busy.

Did I mention how glad I am to be leaving?

4 comments:

  1. Just out of curiosity, do you work at a Banfield? I work there now as a tech and so much of what you're saying is in line with what I see every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I work at one of the biggest in the area. I saw that you were appalled at seeing 20+ clients a day. That would be an abysmally slow day for us... We see 60+ on a day, including our one doctor day. Can you imagine?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my. Unless I was ONLY doing vaccines I would completely lose my mind. More power to your doctors!

    ReplyDelete