Friday, July 12, 2013

Happy 1-year to me!

Tuesday marked my 1-year anniversary as a practicing veterinarian. Whoa.

I've learned a TON over the past year - things like:
- Common skin masses and what their cytology looks like (things like histiocytomas weren't covered very well in school)
- Perfecting my "canine allergic skin disease" talk
- How to perform a cysto without ultrasound guidance
- Getting a LOT more skilled at drawing blood from the jugular vein (hey, I learned on peripheral leg veins and was much more comfortable with those)
- How to pretend I'm confident (even when I'm not) in front of clients (and then research the crap out of it later so that I actually come up with a good answer for them)
- I'm apparently pretty good at euthanasias (got another thank-you card this week for one)
- What my standards of medicine/care and ethics are (hint: not a good fit with my previous clinic)

Looking forward to the future now that I'm (finally) doing what I was meant to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment