Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Getting my surgical mojo back


Today I spent a few hours at a local shelter (the one where I volunteered and then worked prior to veterinary school) doing spays and neuters. In 3 ½ hours of surgery time, including breaks while I was waiting for the next patient to be prepped, I performed 9 surgeries.

To put this into perspective, I’ve done maybe 5 or 6 surgeries the past TWO MONTHS in practice.

Being in the OR is weirdly relaxing for me (unless things are going to you-know-where). I guess it reminds me of being a kid and doing all sorts of needlepoint and counted cross-stitch.

Anyway, it went very well and they are happy to have me come in and help out every week. They get extra help to perform more surgeries and I get to sharpen my surgical skills (and play with super cute kittens!)

No comments:

Post a Comment