Sunday, September 23, 2012

Pink juice and baby teeth


I woke up this morning a pretty strong migraine. I slugged down some Excedrin migraine, dry heaved a bunch of times, and then went to work. After a few hours it finally went away. (Stress? Lack of sleep? The McFlurry I had last night?)

My first case of the day ended up being my first euthanasia. I’ve assisted with dozens of euthanasias before – emphasis on assisted – but I’ve never been the one to give that final injection. Although the patient was gravely ill and it was definitely (in my opinion) the best an acceptable choice for them, it was still a pretty heavy responsibility.

One of my last cases of the day involved a dental cleaning and extracting retained deciduous teeth in a dog. Up until now all my extractions have been for diseased teeth that were practically falling out of the patient anyway. Extracting well-seated teeth is a whole different kettle of fish, my friends.

Another interesting aspect of today was this:
Even though I saw nearly as many patients as yesterday, and even though the euthanasia presented as an emergency to be worked in, I was MUCH less stressed than yesterday. I think it was because some of the staff was different today. Overall they were a much more calm and organized crew. When others run around like chickens with their heads cut off it tends to stress me out.

Today is my Friday! Can’t wait to sleep in.

No comments:

Post a Comment