Saturday, December 29, 2012

On the hunt

I've been checking the classified ads in several places and have applied for 3 other positions so far. I've heard back from one who said that particular clinic needed someone with more experience but would I be interested in this other one? You betcha.

This week I've felt like the grim reaper. Thursday - euthanasia. Friday - euthanasia (of a young cat with a horrible tumor). Today - told someone their beloved dog has a mid-abdominal mass, probably in the spleen. Ugh. Keep in mind that I don't work emergency so this string of events is very atypical for us. Aside from that I'm managing fairly well at work. Unfortunately the doctor who covers a lot of my days off:
- Says they don't know how to do spays
- Nearly overdoses about 1-2 patients per day (except the techs catch the mistakes)
- Takes about 2 extra hours per day to see 2/3 the number of patients I do
- Prescribes antibiotics like they're candy (I'll write another post about that soon)
- Doesn't write ANY notes in the record on about half the patients they see so I have no clue what to do if I get stuck with the recheck
So when I come back to work I get to deal with pissed off clients and pissed off techs. Yes, we have ALL discussed this with management. The harsh reality is that there aren't enough vets to cover all the clinics so rather than close one for a day they keep a warm body around. Especially when that warm body makes a lot of revenue by prescribing unnecessary medications.

No comments:

Post a Comment