Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Ashamed


Here’s a dirty little secret that I’ve only admitted to myself and to D. I hate to tell people what clinic I work at. You see, corporations are viewed pretty poorly in the world of veterinary medicine. They are discussed as evil soul-crushing new grad sweatshops that oh, by the way, are so rigid in their policies that even a monkey could do the job there ‘cause it’s dumbed down so much. The type of veterinarians who go to work there are often talked about as a.) money grubbing, b.) stupid, or c.) a poor unfortunate soul who just couldn’t find anything better.

I don’t think that anyone would say that I’m stupid or money grubbing. I just don’t want anyone to feel sorry for me. I CHOSE to restrict my job search location in order to be with D (my soon-to-be-husband). I CHOSE to not apply for internships. I CHOSE to take this job offer because – let’s face it – pickings are VERY slim in my area. The only people I know who have gotten non-corporate, non-internship jobs have had to move to somewhat rural locations in order to do so!

No comments:

Post a Comment