Saturday, August 25, 2012

Back to the shelter?


Yesterday I met with the volunteer coordinator from the shelter where I used to volunteer (and later work) before going to veterinary school. We talked about possible help they might need from a veterinarian including performing surgeries, assessing sick animals, and prescribing treatments for them.

I’m pretty excited to get back volunteering for a couple of reasons. One, I firmly believe that volunteer work is good for the soul. Two, it gives me a change of pace and perhaps a chance to practice different skills (high volume surgery, infectious disease management) than I would at my day job.

The people I met seemed SUPER excited at the prospect of having me back, which was flattering and also a little weird because I didn’t feel very valued as an employee there. (That could have been due to weird politics and the way the organization was set up – who knows.) At any rate, a couple of the people-in-charge hinted at me potentially working there again. Also flattering, but unless the politics have radically changed there I’d rather just volunteer and stay out of that mess, thankyouverymuch.

No comments:

Post a Comment