Friday, August 24, 2012

(Trying to) Eat Healthy


For the past 2 weeks I’ve changed my eating habits. I’ve been cooking all but 1 meal per week at home and have cut out potato chips, candy, and (except for 1 time) soda. I haven’t gone completely Paleo like a lot of Crossfitters do, but my grain/bread consumption has gone way down also (2-3 servings per day instead of 6-8).

Not gonna lie, it’s been really tough. The first couple of days I had a dull headache all day. I suspect it was due to withdrawal from something (Sugar? Junk food in general?) Eventually that went away, thank goodness.

It’s also more expensive and inconvenient to cook at home. I’m spending about 1 ½ times more at the grocery store to get fresh produce and real food vs. boxed and canned starchy pre-packaged meals. I’m also spending about twice the time preparing food – prepping veggies, cooking large quantities of meat for the week, etc.

I think it’s worth it – I feel a lot better now. I’ve also lost a little bit of weight (that wasn’t a primary goal, but anything that helps me with achieving a pull-up is all right by me!)

1 comment:

  1. Whenever I cut out junk food and processed food, for the first 2 or 3 days I feel dull, foggy, and have a vague headache. Then all of a sudden I wake up one morning and feel AMAZING!!! I have more energy, I'm more alert, I'm in a better mood, I sleep better, I wake up feeling more rested. It's incredible. You'd think that, knowing how much better I feel, it would be easy to maintain that lifestyle. . . . . . . but I just love sugar SO MUCH. I always end up falling back off the wagon. :( Maybe once we finish moving this weekend and have a bigger kitchen, I can start cooking again. That makes a big difference, like you pointed out.

    ReplyDelete