Sunday, August 5, 2012

Ridiculous Saturday


Yesterday I worked my first Saturday. I’ve been working Sundays pretty consistently and they haven’t been too difficult. Saturdays are a whole different ball game, my friends.

To put this into perspective, the goal of my training/mentorship period is to be able to see 12-20 patients per day.
I saw 27 (28 if you count a suture removal).

To make things even more interesting (ha), very few of the cases were straightforward wellness and/or vaccine appointments. They either had extra medical problems, crazy owners, or both. At one point about 2 hours into the day I became so overwhelmed I had to sit for a minute to keep from bursting into tears.

On the one hand, it is reassuring to know that I can handle that kind of volume. On the other hand, I wonder what mistakes I must have made in all that madness and I wonder if my sanity can support regular days like that.

The practice manager assures me that the hospital I am headed to will not be as busy as this one. Let’s hope so – or let’s hope my efficiency improves a LOT very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment